Monday, October 13, 2008

A 12-year-old boy beats iPhone’s tight security

Preview: It seems I’ve slipped out this one when I was busy posting up the other Apple/iPhone posts, so I hope it’s not too late to post it today… ;-p

Karl, who say he’s just a 2-bit programmer in 64-bit world of computing and which his last name reminds me of that famous cheese manufacturer *chuckles* …sorry, he tells a funny but yet a shocking story:

My twelve year old son brought to my attention a security bug he discovered on his iPhone. He has an even more paranoid security mind than I do, because he primarily uses his iPhone to send and receive sweet nothings between himself and his girlfriend, and he is certain that his mother and I are desperate to intercept these messages.”

And after few simple steps are performed, Karl concluded the story with a finishing blow to those ‘geniuses’ at Apple: “If however the phone is placed in emergency call mode, any incoming SMS messages are previewed instead of presented as the generic messages. Thus all I need to do to intercept the messages from his girlfriend is to place the phone in emergency mode and wait 30 seconds for the next sickly sweet message.”

Somebody, somewhere inside that vast iPhone OS development room will soon get fired. It only takes a 12-years-old brain, few easy steps, and a nagging paranoid security mind to breaks into the securely tight of the most advanced mobile platform in the market right now. ;-D

Sources are from
Karl Kraft blog, via CNet’s Apple blog.

[blogged with my Treo 750v]

No comments: