Wednesday, February 27, 2008

LingvoSoft’s products compability issue with Treo 750v


I always wanted to learn foreign languages, with LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary & Phrasebook 2008 I could do that and even on the go. Ever since I reviewed it back then, I had those apps installed in my Treo 750v and used it whenever I got the chance. But at the end of December 2007, I’ve realized an issue made by those LingvoSoft’s apps where they changed Treo screen resolution. What I meant is for an instance: if we’re about to save a Word Mobile document the Save and Cancel buttons were located way below the visible screen, thus making it impossible to tap on the desired button. I’m surprised to found out that the whole system was affected by this incident, and there’s nothing I can do to revert it back to the original state again. At first I doubted that those apps are the cause of the issue, when the Treo 750v is still fresh from the hard-reset; I installed those apps first before installing another apps. When I soft-reset the Treo to check, this issue happened again! I knew something is wrong with those apps, because after a heavy use of my Treo, those apps can’t be used as they should. The user interface window doesn’t displayed properly, sometimes it disappeared and can only be returned again with a soft-reset.
I already contacted LingvoSoft support through email that time, and I’ll quote exactly what the support team told me: “We’re aware of the compability problem with Windows Mobile platform, specially the additional foreign keyboard package, we’re working to resolve this issue…” But this has been since like the last month of December 2007, and until now I noticed they haven’t released a newer version or a patch file that fixes the issue at hand. This got me to be very pessimistic about LingvoSoft, aren’t they worried this kind of issue could scare away customers who purchased their products; specially the Windows Mobile device owners. Many who have bought LingvoSoft’s products probably are as satisfied as me with the vast and extensive library of each apps have, but what all of these compared to the stability of daily use?
I hope this post can give a heads up to you who have the same issue, but still wondering what caused it; try to check if you have LingvoSoft’s products installed. If so then you need to backup your WinMob mobile device right away, just for precautions. I’ve still give those apps few more weeks or months, but I’m very worried if someday I’ll have to hard-reset my Treo again…
(blogged with my Treo 750v)

No comments: