Monday, May 26, 2008

What bothers me about Palm’s newest Treo 8.xx

Like many of you, I rather wait and see what will come out from those news and rumors about Palm latest handset: Treo 8.xx; but I couldn’t help to restrain myself from talking about it since there are two things that have been nagging my mind.

First is the naming, you must’ve remembered back then when our mobile world was stirred with an early look of what was once called as Palm Drucker at Bill Gate’s CES little slide show. And soon,
Gizmodo revealed the Vodafone’s roadmap that showed up the same name: Drucker. Soon after that, the name began to change into Treo 800 as many leaked infos is pouring around the net. But now, it seems like the official name change again into Treo 850. Some are even adding the word “w” behind those naming numbers, to show it’ll host Windows Mobile. So, from now on I’m just going to call it as Treo 8.xx until Palm announce the real official name for it.

Secondly, it’s the physical build. From the grainy and blurry of first appearance picture, into BGR’s first leaked photo shots of they called it as Palm
Treo 800w, and then BGR gave us another exclusive pictures of now to be called as Palm Treo 850. Where as you can see at the pictures that I’ve set up on the left side of this post, the transitions of Treo 8.xx design is concentrated on the command buttons (Windows, ok, calendar?, email/messages?, D-pad, call and stop buttons) which I like to call it as “ribbon” buttons. But the difference between Treo 800w and 850 is somewhat unappealing for me, personally I would much prefer the 800w design than 850.

Maybe it’s just me, but those round buttons on 850 are less prettier (or more handsome, your choice of words then ;-p) than the rectangular with little bit rounded-end buttons on 800w. Oh, I’m sure there are many of you who think differently and have different perspective from mine there; but it sure is fun to talk about until Palm launch the official one ;-D

Plus we haven’t touch on the specs here, that’s another thing to worry about now. No sure infos on the specs except rumors, and the news that someone out there have been
playing with Treo 800w for quite some time.

[blogged with my Treo 750v]

No comments: