This condition is very similar to dragging your feet across a carpet and receiving a static shock by touching a door knob.
Static buildup on your electronic device is largely due to the environment that it is used in. Certain environments and actions can encourage static electricity buildup:
- Very low humidity (dry) environments are conducive for static buildup.
- Very windy environments are conducive for static buildup.
- Taking your device in and out of your pocket can create a static charge.
- Jogging or exercising with your device can cause a static charge.
- Clothes made with synthetic fibers (like nylon) can easily become charged with static electricity.